In December, the Arlington Education Foundation (AEF) awarded $16,000 for six Innovations in Education grants that will impact students across the school district.
“These grants represent the vast learning experiences made possible by AEF, from biotechnology at the high school to multi-cultural reading at OMS to individualized fitness in elementary schools. We are grateful to the teachers who apply for our grants and are excited to watch these programs develop,” commented Julia Schilling, AEF President.
Innovations in Education grants support innovative teaching and learning in classrooms throughout the district. This fall there were six such grants awarded:
- Individualized Fitness (Hardy): Hardy students will use pedometers and blink wristbands in PE classes to track their individual fitness activity and learn strategies to stay active in their daily lives
- Orff Instrumentarium (Stratton): Stratton music classes will use orff instruments, such as metallophones and glockenspiels, to teach pitch, harmony, tonality and to encourage improvisation and composition
- PCR Biotech Equipment (AHS): Arlington High School AP and tenth grade biology students will conduct experiments with miniPCR DNA Discovery Systems to learn about polymerase chain reaction (PCR), the most widely used method in biotechnology
- Read Around the World Challenge (Ottoson): all Ottoson students can participate in a community challenge to read one book from each continent during the school year
- Therapy Dog Training and Certification (AHS): Arlington High School will welcome a trained therapy dog to the guidance department and school community
- Warrior Fitness (Dallin): In PE class, Dallin students will face new, engaging challenges that promote individual performance and teach lifetime fitness
The Arlington Education Foundation is committed to enhancing teaching and learning in all of Arlington’s public schools. AEF is 100% volunteer-run and relies entirely upon community support. Through charitable donations and business sponsorships, the foundation grants over $100,000 annually.
Learn more about you you can support AEF.