This spring, the Arlington Education Foundation (AEF) awarded $5,000 for a Development and Expansion grant, and $9,450 for four Innovations in Education grants.
AEF’s Development and Expansion grants support school-based or district-wide development of new educational strategies that target demonstrated needs, and have the potential to serve as models for the rest of the district. The most recent grant awarded is:
- Colors of STEM: Expanding the Reach: The Colors of STEM exhibit began in 2017 as a grant at Brackett Elementary. Now, all six other elementary schools will receive replicas of the poster exhibit aimed at highlighting and educating students about prominent Americans of color who have made significant contributions to the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
AEF’s Innovations in Education grants support innovative and creative teaching and learning projects in classrooms throughout the district. The four recent grants are:
- Eyes on Owls: Bishop students in grades K-5 will come together to share a live animal presentation over several days about the study of owls, with a focus on each grade’s science curriculum.
- Interactive Virtual Music Workshops: Pierce students will enjoy virtual interactive workshops and performances by award winning children’s musician David Ladon, who uses social-emotional learning, community, self-expression, and the environment to entertain children.
- Our Time Here: The 5th Grade Physical Theater Project: Thompson students in grade 5 will use the art of theater and movement to create a lasting project to help process the social and emotional effects of the pandemic and create a narrative of strength, sacrifice, community and hope from this challenging year.
- Captioning for Live Performances: AHS will use closed captioning for two upcoming live performances, inviting a larger audience to enjoy the performing arts in Arlington schools. Students will also have the opportunity to learn from a professional theatrical captioner about making the arts accessible to all.
Learn more about all grant opportunities here.